Friday, February 18, 2011

Looking Back

As I get older I look back on what I may or may not have enjoyed at the time, and see it with different eyes.
Age breeds wisdom, I realise I should have enjoyed those times more.

As a young seventeen year old I entered hospital trained nursing.
It was a huge Sydney hospital and very daunting.
The wards were known as nightingale wards. They were long with many beds.
This was one of the female wards from that time, in the very same hospital.

In this picture are two trainee nurses and one N.S.W. nursing Sister.
When Sister spoke you listened with eyes down and head bowed.
Hands were to be behind your back. (see pic)
I had a hard time with this as I am a laugher.
But disciple was the answer and one dared not, even smile.
The nurses in the photo above had hair showing from their cap.
My Tutor Sister forbid that.
Patients often asked me what colour my hair was.
I was never recognised out in public..

That dreaded cap. I still feel the terror of it.
Starched as stiff as a board, it ruined a young girls dream of looking stylish.
And....you never considered arguing or refusing to wear it.


   The class rooms were situated in the basement of the multi-story nurses quarters. 
The Tutor Sister was a fully trained registered nurse teacher, and ran the course in military fashion.

I refused to have a photo taken in my uniform. (not compulsary)
This is a deep regret today as nursing has changed so much and those yesteryear days are now history.

Graduation was four years down the track. This was when you received the veil of honour.
Now you were no longer called nurse. Your professional title became Sister.


The Queensland/Victoria veil      (Sister unknown)

Me (17) pictured at rear, with student nurse Shane on days off.
This photo was taken with a little Kodak flash camera.
Relaxing at the side of the nurses quarters.
Tennis courts and hospital are in the background. 

Of course nursing has changed somewhat now.
It went from being a certificate course, to a diploma and finally a degree.

I eventually went on to University and attained my B.N. in Australia.
(Three years full time Uni, and One year mentored new grad for first time nurses)
I sat Boards in the USA and equalled the BSN. 
Today in Australia we still wear a hospital uniform, but no cap.
R.N.'s here are gradually being called by their first names.
Some of us oldies, are still known as Sister.

AND, I believe the best medicine of all, is laughter.




                           "A cheerful heart is good medicine,
                        but a crushed spirit dries up the bones."
                                             Proverbs 17:22
     
                          
                            Laughter is a tranquilizer with no side effects.
                                              ~Arnold Glasow~



No comments:

Post a Comment